Paying attention to the clean and disinfected sleeping area of the baby is one of the crucial things that parents can do for their better sleep. Bassinets are the safe snuggle quarters, so giving the bassinet a refresh may enable your baby to sleep better. Luckily, cleaning a bassinet is not a troublesome task.
A clean bassinet leaves hardly any spot for pathogens to hide. These pathogens may linger in the bedding and become a leading but most neglected cause of disturbed sleep in babies. Also, the buildup of dust and dirt on the bassinet irritates the sinuses of babies. So, we have got you covered with simple methods about how to clean a bassinet.
You may also read: Best Bassinet for Small spaces
Steps to clean a bassinet
1. To get the bassinet clean and germ-free, you need to know whether your bassinet is hard to clean or offers easier cleaning. The instruction manual directs you about the details of your unit. Knowing them, you can easily clean it. So, find out the instructions manual and carefully review all washing and assembly instructions. These instructions provide you with a bunch of information about the removable and non-removable parts of the bassinet. Also, they let you know about machine washable and non-machine washable components.
2. Separate the washable parts that include a frame of the bassinet, mesh sides, bassinet mattress, sheet, and canopy. These components of the bassinet are easy to remove.
3. Now, move forward towards the washing process. But, first, gather all the supplies that you’d need to clean it. Some main supplies are
i. Warm water containing spray bottle
ii. Sponge or duster
iii. Lint brush
iv. Gentle laundry detergent
4. Put the machine-washable materials in the wash and let them dry.
5. Disinfect the non-removable parts. Non-removable parts may cause trouble to wash. So, opt for a bassinet that is easier to clean.
6. Reassemble the unit
How to clean a bassinet mesh
Thankfully, many models of bassinets have removable mesh and canopy. But mostly, these parts of the bassinet are not machine washable. So, you need to add extra efforts to combat the grime and dirt on non-removable parts like canopy and mesh. Here a question arises how to clean a bassinet canopy or a mesh. Without placing them in a machine, you can wash them by following these simple steps.
- Take warm water and mild infant detergent
- Pour them in a spray bottle
- Shake them thoroughly, make a mixture of warm water and baby-friendly detergent in a spray bottle
- Spray the canopy or mesh with this mixture of detergent and water.
- Finally, gently wipe them down with a towel.
- Now, let them air-dry
Bassinets come in different shapes, and each model requires its unique method of cleaning. Besides metallic and plastic bassinets, wooden bassinets are also widely accepted by parents. So, we should also consider their cleaning.
While talking about bassinets, we can not forget to mention the wooden bassinets. These traditional bassinets are sturdier, and many babies enjoy sleeping in them. Babies spend most of their time in their cribs. That is why it is crucial to keep them neat and clean.
Consider these steps to clean the wooden bassinets for babies.
Steps to clean a wooden bassinet
1. Make sure that the bedding does not come in contact with the cleaning solution. So, remove the bedding and extra clothing.
2. Wipe down the bassinet with a mixture of soap and water. Instead of soap, you can also use a natural homemade cleaner.
3. Wipe it off and let it dry. If needed, use a brush to scrub away the tiny sticky spots if present.
4. Vacuum clean it regularly to prevent the buildup of dirt and to remove crumbs.
Now, have a look at how to clean different models of the bassinets.
How to clean bassinet on pack n play
We can use Pack n play as bassinet and travel cribs. It grows with the babies and is suitable for toddlers too. Considering its cleaning guarantees its long life. So, to clean it, disassemble the unit and remove the bassinet. Dip a sponge in the bucket containing water and detergent to clean it from top to bottom. Then gently scrub the mesh, mattress, and canopy. Wash the bassinet thoroughly and let it dry.
Pack n play is a bit pricier so most of us prefer to avail of the second option, and they go for the user and less expensive bassinets. So, if you want a used bassinet then you might be pondering-how to disinfect a used bassinet.
It is crucial to disinfect them to make them germ-free. Spray the mixture of antiseptic detergent and water to disinfect them. Also, you can use a steamer to disinfect a used bassinet. The streamer kills all the microbes and protects them from such infectious agents.
How to clean fisher price bassinet
Fisher-price bassinet offers convenience to users, and they are easy to assemble and disassemble. Also, you can clean them easily.
- Wash the machine washable material with a mild detergent
- Use a wet cloth or sponge to wipe down the mattress, canopy, storage area, and frame
- Avoid using bleach to wash any water.
Like fisher price bassinet, dream on me is a portable unit that is very easy to clean. So if you are wondering how to clean dream on me bassinet you can wipe clean the spills and diaper blowouts. Also, the handy steamers are very helpful to steam clean the travel bassinets.
Most of the bassinets come with covers that are easy to remove. Delta bassinet is one of the best bassinet 2021 that has a removable cover. If you own a delta bassinet, then you might be figuring out how to wash the delta bassinet cover. To clean the delta cover, put it in cold water and hand wash it. You can use infant detergent and try to avoid bleach as it may damage the fabric. After washing, let it air out.
List of FAQs for how to clean a bassinet
A clean sleeping place is suitable to provide a healthy and deep sleep to babies whose immunity is not as strong as ours. Little angels are at risk of developing certain diseases if their bassinet is not clean. By reading the instruction manual, you would become able to know-how to clean a bassinet. Both machine washable and non-machine washable parts can easily be cleaned by following the simple steps mentioned in this article.